|CHEM0008 Fundamental chemistry (6 credits)|
|Course Co-ordinator||Dr A P L Tong, Chemistry|
|Course Aim||To provide students, who are interested in chemistry but lack the AL/AS Chemistry background or equivalent, a foundation course in general chemistry. The course aims to lay a good theoretical and practical foundation for students. It will prepare students with the necessary knowledge, study and practical skills to further explore chemistry or to complement their studies in other science disciplines.|
|Course Contents||The course will include the following topics: the mole concept and stoichiometry; states of matter; chemical thermodynamics; chemical kinetics; atomic structure; the periodic table; chemical bonding & bonding theories; chemical equilibrium; acid-base equilibria; and organic chemistry: a study of the chemistry of various functional groups.|
On successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding in relation to some chemical vocabulary, terminology and conventions.
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding in relation to selected facts, phenomena, laws, principles, theories and concepts in chemistry and their limitations.
- demonstrate awareness of the relevant applications of chemistry in society and in everyday life.
- identify problems for given situations, and select and apply acquired knowledge and understanding to solve problems.
- organize and present chemical ideas in a clear, logical and coherent forms.
- observe and record experimental observations accurately, and interpret and evaluate the experimental data.
E or above in HKCEE Chem; and
Not for students with E or above in AL Chem or AS Chem.
|Offer in academic year
2011 - 2012
|Availability in 2012 - 2013||Y|
|Teaching Hours||36 hours of lectures and tutorials; 3 x 3 hours of laboratory sessions|
|Assessment Method||One 2-hour written examination (60 % weighting) and continuous assessment (40 % weighting) through practical work and quizzes|
|Textbooks||Theodore E Brown: Chemistry: The Central Science (Prentice Hall, latest edition)|
|Remarks||Not for students who have already passed HKUSPACE Community College Chemistry I or II before. Students with AS Chem should first obtain approval from the department.|
|Back / Home|